You have most likely spent at least one or two afternoons being pampered at a spa. Most people associate a spa with luxurious and soothing treatments capable of providing everything from the ideal relaxation to an improvement in aesthetics. What you may not realize is some spas are run by a medically-certified provider. Certain physicians choose a specialty such as dermatology or plastic surgery. They are then able to become Board Certified. The gold standard for certification in the United States is the (ABMS) The American Board of Medical Specialties. There are spas offering all of the benefits of a medically-certified provider. The ABMS has established educational standards and professional guidelines for board certification. These standards were created when the ABMS was founded in 1933.
A medically-certified provider supports medicine, technology, science and improvements in health care. These physicians provide higher standards and elevated care for their patients. Certification shows the medical provider is skilled, knowledgeable, educated and experienced in their chosen specialty. Although a license is required for a physician to practice medicine, certification is not. The requirements for certification are far beyond licensing. Once the physician has completed their residency, they must complete specific steps to become eligible for certification. This includes:
- Complete an additional four years of education
- Earn a medical degree approved by the ABMS such as an MD or a DO
- Complete an additional three to seven years of residency
- Provide letters of recommendation
- Obtain an unrestricted medical license
- Pass an examination created by the specialty board
The ABMDS certification must be maintained. This includes consistent learning for their specialty, completing activities for improvement and regular assessments. The physician is required to be competent in numerous categories including:
- Patient care
- Procedural skills
- Medical Knowledge
- Consistent learning and improvement
- Communication and interpersonal skills
The Benefits of a Medically-Certified Provider
There are a lot of differences between a traditional spa and a spa with a medically-certified provider. The biggest difference is in the type of procedure the spa is able to provide. A traditional spa is unable to offer any type of medical procedure. When a certified physician is present, they either perform the procedure or supervise. The two types of specialists most often found at a spa are a dermatologist and a plastic surgeon. The focus of a traditional spa is relaxation. The focus of a medical specialist is results. Nearly every spa will offer luxurious treatments such as facials, seaweed wraps, salt glows and massages. A medical spa is also able to provide treatments for aging skin, acne and hair removal. There are additional options generally only available through a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist.
The procedures most frequently offered by a medical spa include chemical peels, injectables including Botox®, Restylane® and Juvederm®, and laser and light treatments. If you are suffering from acne, you can find treatments for your breakouts, hyperpigmentation, inflammation, scarring and for improving the general appearance of your skin. Microdermabrasion has become an extremely popular exfoliation method. The procedure treats stretch marks, sun damage, discoloration and light scarring. The process removed the uneven and thicker layer of your skin by gently sanding your skin with a minimally abrasive tool. Both photo-facials and hair removal are performed using (IPL) intense pulsed light. These treatments are also referred to as laser resurfacing, photorejuvenation and laser skin rejuvenation.
All of these treatments require the training, experience and skill of a medically-certified provider to be performed both effectively and safely. When a spa has a medically-certified provider, you can receive all of the treatments you desire at one location as opposed to driving all over town. You will know every medical procedure is being performed or supervised by a certified physician. Any non-medical procedures such as massages, wraps, body scrubs, manicures and pedicures are performed by our estheticians. This means you will get to know the staff. The reason this is so important is that they will earn your trust.
You will become familiar with the receptionist, the estheticians, the medically-certified provider, the procedures and the equipment. All of this will combine to bring you peace of mind. The ultimate goal of the entire staff is to ensure your unique beauty and skin care needs are being taken care of efficiently, correctly and safely. You will have personalized consultations with the technicians, estheticians and physicians to help make certain your skin care and beauty goals are achieved.
Imagine having a customized treatment plan in place every time you go to the spa. This will help ensure you achieve optimal results during every single visit. You do not need to have a medical procedure performed every time you visit. You may simply be interested in a massage or a steam bath. The difference is you have the choice because nearly every type of procedure is made available. You will be experiencing an exceptional combination of medical aesthetic treatments for your face and body as well as the more traditional services offered by spas in the past. The final results will leave you looking and feeling better than you ever have before. You will have the ability to ask questions about all the treatments offered by our educated staff. Your recommendations will be backed by experienced and skilled physicians and estheticians.
You will have access to procedures you may not even be familiar with. You can firm, tone and tighten your skin with the treatments we offer. You can have numerous different issues treated including crow’s feet, frown lines, sagging on your neck or beneath your chin, forehead lines, fine lines around your mouth and lips and even have the area beneath your eyes lifted. You can prepare for an important event with an intimate hair and cosmetics experience using the highest quality products, services and equipment. You will have the trusted recommendations you need to decide which services are best for your needs.
The medically-certified provider works closely with experienced and skilled aesthetic professionals for the development of the available treatments, ensuring daily operations are smooth and even providing consultations for certain cases whenever necessary. These are just a few of the reasons a licensed physician is so important for the operations of a medispa. Medical services are an ideal complement to traditional spa treatments. Once a medically-certified provider becomes involved, you are able to choose from more options for the achievement of your aesthetic goals. This is accomplished with a complete analysis regarding your current skin concerns. This enables the creation of a treatment plan for your individual needs. The health and cosmetic issues of your face are analyzed using high-resolution imaging from computerized systems.
Once your issues have been determined, the correct treatment for your skin can be recommended. A follow-up analysis will be conducted to ensure you are receiving the best possible treatment. Only the highest quality beauty products will be used. The worry over which products to purchase from the overwhelming choices on the market is effectively eliminated. The products offered by the spa are usually selected by our medically-certified provider to ensure the spa is offering the best products available. You will finally understand why one product provides better results than another. Best of all you will know the products you are using are not only of the highest quality, but they are also the right products for your specific needs.
The Benefits of a Medispa
You already know the best way to look and feel your very best is to spend some time at a spa. When you are able to receive medical treatments in addition to the traditional treatments offered by a spa, your experience reaches an entirely new level. The key difference between a medispa and a traditional spa is the presence of a medically-certified provider. This greatly expands the services the spa is able to offer, provides more effective results and your results will last for a much longer period of time. You gain the ability to pick and choose from the best cosmetic and medical services available for a personalized treatment plan. This is the most effective way to achieve the results you desire the most.
You can visit a traditional spa for more superficial treatments that will help you look and feel better. You can also achieve better fundamental results at a spa with a physician on staff. You will be offered a combination of treatments to address nearly every aesthetic issue of concern for both your face and your body. Your expectations will be met or exceeded because you may not have even been aware of the most beneficial treatments for your needs. The bottom line is you will be receiving the best treatments possible from trained and skilled professionals with the goal of fulfilling your aesthetic desires.
You will also receive attention from medical aestheticians. These are skin care specialists who have extensive training in addition to receiving credentials for their specific field. These professionals offer advanced skin care from analyzing your skin type to performing a wide variety of non-invasive skin procedures. There are a lot of benefits available when you visit a medispa in addition to looking and feeling your best. This includes:
- Reducing your stress
- Clearing your mind
- Decreasing the appearance of wrinkles
- Improving your skin
- Improving your confidence
- Looking and feeling refreshed
- Boosting your self-esteem
- The More Advanced Options for Treatment: There are a lot of cosmetic and skin care treatments requiring the supervision of a physician. A traditional spa is unable to provide any of these services. When you visit a medispa, your variety of options will be much larger. This will help ensure you receive the treatments you need the most.
- The Shorter Period of Recovery: A medically-certified professional is able to provide a variety of non-invasive cosmetic services. These types of services usually require less time to complete. Advanced technologies are used to perform all of these treatments. This helps ensure your period of recovery will be shorter once you have completed your treatment.
- The Importance of Expert Advice: A medical professional has the experience and skill required to recommend the best skin care products and services for your individual needs. Everything recommended will be more effective because it is being tailored to your needs. You will be given all of the information regarding every product and treatment to help you make an educated decision as to how to proceed.
- The Best Treatments for Anti-Aging: There are a lot of individuals who visit a spa specifically for anti-aging treatments. When a physician is present, these options are expanded to include Botox®, laser hair removal, skin surfacing, medical microdermabrasion and more. Your safety is ensured because these treatments are being supervised or performed by a physician.
- The Calming Environment: A medispa is a representation of the best of all options. The relaxing and calming environment of a traditional spa is effectively combined with the professional and expert environment of a physician’s office.
- Feeling and Looking Better: The majority of individuals who go to a spa do so because they want to look and feel better. Not only can a medispa treat a lot of the symptoms of the aging process, but the experience can also improve your self-image, focus and decrease your level of stress.
- The Advanced Technology: Not only will you have the assurance of a physician on staff, but you will also have medical testing and treatments based on modern technology available. This means the staff will be able to create an individualized treatment plan to best suit your personal needs and goals. Only the most appropriate services will be recommended.
- Having a Positive State of Mind: Your state of mind is taken extremely seriously because a positive attitude often provides a critical boost when recovering from a serious health issue. Qualified medical specialists will help you by creating customized spa days to improve both your physical and mental wellness.
- The Highest Quality Treatments and Equipment: When the best equipment and treatments are combined to improve the appearance of your skin, you can often eliminate the need for an invasive surgical procedure. High-quality equipment and treatments also ensure your experience is as effective and safe as possible.
- Treatment for Long Term Health Issues: One of the best benefits is the ability to treat a long-term health issue like insomnia. The staff will show you how to regain control of your sleeping habits to help eliminate sleepless nights. You will be shown how to handle the symptoms of health issues such as heart problems or a previous injury. Alternate treatment methods are available as opposed to simply filling yet another prescription. All of the available programs are customized for your needs whether you need help managing your weight or quitting smoking. This results in an improvement in your health for the long-term.
For more information about visiting a spa with a medically-certified provider, feel free to reach out to our professionals at Saffron Laser Aesthetics and Medical Spa in Eureka, CA. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!